Monday 7 July 2014

Like a teabag

‎When a carrot is thrown into boiling water, it changes from being hard to soft. Conversely when an egg is thrown into boiling water, it changes from being soft to hard. However when the teabag is thrown into boiling water, it changes the water to tea. Affecting our environment is more important than we being affected by it. The  teabag has for long been. Almost every home patronises one brand or the other. It has not only evened out the rich and the poor, it has served as enough preferential excuse for those who cannot afford beverages.
The Bible says that we are salt /light of the earth. It deductively commands us to make a difference wherever we find ourselves. I always remember Bros Eckey, my neighbour, for his admonitions when I was in high school. He says " Femo scorpion, if dem no fit sabi you for  your academic prowess, strive to be known and remembered for your naughtiness. Make dem sha sabi you for something. Koye e." Whilst his remarks remain ethically questionable, I reckon with his zeal on the crux of his message.
Little wonder why it is a popular saying today that let your absence be felt even where your presence might not have been noticed. Uncle Ben, my boss at my place of internship, remains a big surprise to me. His reluctance in sharing knowledge is of the highest cadre. Whenever it is time to learn anything technical from him is when he remembers he needs someone to go help him buy akara with the sole motive of hiding the know-how, invariably so that no subordinate can perform his task while he is away. Has Uncle Ben justified my earlier argument on letting your absence be felt?  YES but in a negative way.
Have we forgotten that one day, the stammerer  would pronounce "father" or that the young shall grow? Positive mentality should be the precursor for our actions, we are are called to be agents of change, channels of blessings and destiny helpers.
A corper asked a sensitive question "Are aspiring politicians going to misappropriate funds?" I answered in the negative. He further asked how I planned to be rich in politics without cornering funds. Instantaneously, without being an artist, I painted a scenario for him. I asked if a hose that dispenses water to flowers perpetually can ever go dry within. I am sure he went home with the drawing. He that scatters and yet increases and he that withholds and yet decreases.
Could we imagine all that we have learnt and known, if there were no teachers or writers willing to transfer knowledge? Could  we have experimented and discovered all the things we read in books? Would memories of a thousand years remain if they were not jotted down? Would stories stand the test of time to become history? No wonder the Chinese proverb says the faintest ink is better than the sharpest memory.
Conclusively, on getting this conviction, I decided to start inking down my thoughts, no matter how un-meaningful the words may be. A wise man can sure always learn more from the words of a fool, than a fool learning from the words of the wise. 
DR LINI was right after all when he  said "He who cannot prove his words by his actions has proven one thing at least, that his words are mere quotations of another man."
We  bless God for writers who are selfless despite the consciousness of this truth, that whenever you speak or write, you are only repeating what you have known, but whenever you listen or read there is the tendency to learn something new. Writers are not eager to be blessed but to be a blessing, just living their lives like a TEABAG. Also missionaries, parents, pastors, teachers, nurses, and everyone with a passion to give/help.

I had no idea how this was going to end. I love how he brought out Matthew 5:13-14in the light of a tea bag that diffuses and affects everything around it. Our presence and absence should be felt positively. Everyone should know that there is something different about us. Let's be like the light that illuminates, attracts and brightens. Also like the salt that sweetens and flavours, all to the glory of God. God help us. Thank you very much Dr Lini. God bless you for Anuoluwapo's. And oh, tea bags over beverages anytime, everyday. ‎



4 comments:

Eniwealth said...

I read through this post smiling. I'm definitely feeling like a teabag at my work place right now. I just resumed from a ten working day leave. The many ''yaay'', ''yippee', ''thank God you are back'', hugs, smiles, and cheers I have received this morning is overwhelming, I feel very significant.

Eniwealth said...

s*

Anuoluwapo said...

You are important and I love you Eniwealth :*

Anuoluwapo said...

You are important and I love you Eniwealth :*